"Mailbox is locked by POP server"

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Fri Sep 9 06:50:37 EDT 2005

Hello all,

Recently I have more and more users complaining about errors accesing their mailboxes via pop. I woundn't (couldn't) really care about them, but one of them is now my boss :)

So I started looking into it and we came up with the following procedure to recreate the problem:

open outlook
let it connect to the mail account
let it start download new msgs
kill it via "end task"

Cyrus keeps the connection open and all following attempts to log in fail.

I'm not really interested in who's to blame here (impatient users, of course), but how to fix / work around the problem. Decreasing tcp timeout values is my first guess. Do any of you have better suggestions?

Cyrus 2.2.12 on linux 2.4.21 (rhel 3).

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org