cannot authenticate to server cyrus

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN luck at computerking.ca
Wed Sep 7 15:11:05 EDT 2005

Am Di, den 06.09.2005 schrieb RYAN vAN GINNEKEN um 22:50:

> >>the user seems to be there i even tried loggin into cyadmin as
> >>tokyo.computerking.ca

> >Is that the FQDN hostname?

> Yes one of them would that make a differance

It can make a difference.

> >>sasldblistusers2
> >>test11 at tokyo.computerking.ca: userPassword
> >>cyrus at tokyo.computerking.ca: userPassword
> >>rmvg at tokyo.computerking.ca: userPassword

> >And what did you configure for "admins:" in imapd.conf?
> >
> /etc/imapd.conf
> admins: rmvg cyrus

I assume you have not virtdomain setup, so tokyo.computerking.ca is your
single realm.

I do have virtual domains but not for cyrus plan on setting that up later.

> > Did you use
> >"imtest" to test whether your auth setup works with Cyrus-IMAPd itself
> >(not just the specific Perl tool cyradm)?

> hmmmmmm that seems to be a problem it could have swore it worked for me
> before am i using imtest correctly "imtest -u cyrus localhost"
>
> tokyo.computerking.ca > /home/rmvg #imtest -u cyrus localhost
> S: * OK tokyo.computerking.ca Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12 server ready
> C: C01 CAPABILITY
> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
> NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
> BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
> LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE
> S: C01 OK Completed
> Please enter your password:
> C: L01 LOGIN root {6}

You observe anything in line above?

> S: + go ahead
> C: <omitted>
> S: L01 NO Login failed: user not found
> Authentication failed. generic failure
> Security strength factor: 0

It does not wonder that auth fails, as your sasldb2 does not contain a
"root" user, which is not bad or a problem.

imtest -a cyrus -u cyrus localhost

Yes Alexander thank you that works so we know it is not perl and that
imap is working correctly.  However i still get permission denied when i
try to create a mailbox please see the last message I sent to the list
in this thread. Also i will be starting a new thread with the subject
line create mailbox permission denied like the one below.

Hello agian all i am still having problems createing mailboxes please help

#su cyrus
%whoami
cyrus
%cyradm localhost
IMAP Password:
              localhost.computerking.ca> whoami
cyrus
localhost.computerking.ca> cm user.test1000000000
createmailbox: Permission denied

this is happening in /var/log/messages
Sep  7 12:58:23 tokyo perl: No worthy mechs found
Sep  7 12:58:26 tokyo imap[5100]: no user in db
Sep  7 12:58:26 tokyo imap[5100]: login: localhost.computerking.ca [::1]
cyrus plaintext User logged in

this in /var/log/auth.log
Sep  7 12:58:23 tokyo perl: No worthy mechs found
Sep  7 12:58:26 tokyo imap[5100]: no user in db

permissions on /var/imap 777 for testing
drwxrwxrwx  10 cyrus   cyrus     512 Sep  7 12:58 imap

permissions on /var/spool/imap 777 for testing
drwxrwxrwx   3 cyrus  cyrus   512 Sep  4 16:26 imap

Serendipity 13:05:24 up 16 days, 9:49, load average: 0.14, 0.14, 0.10