imap transfer

Raymond Sundland raymond at sundland.com
Thu Sep 1 15:44:19 EDT 2005

Pick a day of the transfer.
Generate new passwords for all users on the system.
Notify all users of their new passwords as of the date of the transfer you
decide on.
On the day of the transfer, update the LDAP (or both LDAPs if there are two)
with the password assigned and previously distributed to each user.
At this point, the password is now the same as the one you distributed, and
if you're using two different LDAP servers, the password will be the same on
both systems.
Now you can use imapsync to migrate the mailbox of the user, knowing what
their password is... because you just set it.

Being able to script all of this would really be the best way to do it
considering the number of users on the system.  Likewise, you could do this
on an individual basis as well.