flat mailboxes performances for around 1500 entries

Dave McMurtrie dgm+ at pitt.edu
Thu Sep 1 14:04:26 EDT 2005

Patrice wrote:
> Thank you Dave !
>
> I will use 'flat' files then.
>
> a last question :  do you use flat for all cyrus files or just for
> mailboxes.db ?

For us, flat is where it's at.  We're using flat for everything.

I should probably give you more information to base your decision on,
though.

Our last setup was running cyrus 1.5.14.  We were using flat there, and
as I recall there wasn't a choice at the time.  That was running on a
single Sun Ultra-Enterprise 4500.  /var/imap was a regular Solaris ufs
filesystem, and the amount of I/O to /var/imap was so severe that we
ended up purchasing a solid state disk device to be able to cope.

Our new setup is cyrus 2.1.17 running on a 4-node active-active Veritas
cluster.  /var/imap is now a Veritas cluster filesystem that resides on
a SAN.  We're not seeing any performance issues with our new setup.

Thanks,

Dave