flat mailboxes performances for around 1500 entries

Dave McMurtrie dgm+ at pitt.edu
Thu Sep 1 12:33:08 EDT 2005

Patrice wrote:

> Does someone know if the flat format type  for my /var/imap/mailboxes.db
> is good enough for only 1500 mailboxes ?

We use flat in our setup.  We have about 65000 users with 264265 mailboxes.

> or it will impact performances ?

It works fine for us.  Whether other formats would perform better, I
can't say.  We never benchmarked.  Flat format isn't as bad as you would
initially think, since cyrus mmap()s the file anyway.  The big hit you
take is that each update requires the entire file to be re-written.

Thanks,

Dave