IMTEST OpenLDAP, a clarification.

O Plameras oscarp at acay.com.au
Sun Oct 30 15:27:52 EST 2005

Hi,

I've used imtest in testing my Cyrus-IMAPD setup and I noticed
what seems to be strange, which I'll explain after I've stated
my setup.

My setup

1. OS - Fedora Core 4 - kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4
2. OpenLDAP-2.2.29-1.FC4
3. Cyrus-SASL-2.1.21-5_rhfc4
4. Cyrus-IMAPD-2.2.12-6.fc4

My OpenLDAP uses SASL-MECH digest-md5, e.g. these commands work
successfully:

$ldapwhoami -Y digest-md5 -U oscarp -w password
$ldapwhoami -Y digest-md5 -U root -w secret

My Cyrus-IMAPD config, /etc/imapd.conf has,

configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: root
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
tls_cert_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_ca_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_mech_list: digest-md5
sasl_auxprop_plugin: ldapdb
sasl_ldapdb_uri: ldap://hdtv.example.com.ex
sasl_ldapdb_id: root
sasl_ldapdb_pw: secret
sasl_ldapdb_mech: digest-md5

Now, when I do,

$imtest -u root localhost  and use password 'secret' this works.
$imtest -u oscarp localhost and use password 'password' this does
   not work.

But this one works,
$imtest -u oscarp localhost and password 'secret'.

When I created another user/password in OpenLDAP like
johnblue/hissecret and do,
$imtest -u johnblue localhost and use password 'hissecret' this does
not work either.

But this one works,
$imtest -u johnblue localhost and password 'secret'.

It appears that imtest requires the use of sasl_ldapdb_pw as password
no matter what user is used to have a successful imtest.

Is this the intention ?

Please note that when using the same setup to check emails
with thunderbird for example they work correctly.

O Plameras