[POLL] pop3d/nntpd and IMAP flags

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Tue Oct 25 19:58:51 EDT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Ken Murchison wrote:
>> It would be fairly straightforward to have an option that updated \Seen
>> state whenever a POP3 client issues a RETR command or an NNTP client
>> issues a BODY or ARTICLE command.
>
> I vote for this change, and if it is optional, I'd vote for it to be the
> default behaviour.

I obviously haven't used pop and imap on the same folder much, this is
actually the behavior I would have expected (it's the same message,
however you read it, the fact that you have read it means it's seen.)

#1 sounds like the proper flag, there's not much that's more annoying then
having fetchmail crach in the middle of a run and result in loosing
messages as a result. and expunging after each message can kill your
server (in fact, if there was a lazy expunge this would be the perfect
situation to use it)

>> Should any setting which enables pop3d/nntpd to use IMAP flags be global
>> or per-mailbox?
>
> I'd be happy enough with it being global.  If it is made per-mailbox, IMHO
> it would be good to have it work as follows: a "global" option that applies
> to every mailbox, and a per-mailbox annotation that overrides the global
> option for this mailbox subtree.

I agree with those who say it should be both, with the specific overriding
the general.

David Lang

  -- C.A.R. Hoare