[POLL] pop3d/nntpd and IMAP flags

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 25 13:33:20 EDT 2005

Joseph Brennan wrote:

> Ken Murchison <murch at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> It would be fairly straightforward to have an option that updated \Seen
>> state whenever a POP3 client issues a RETR command or an NNTP client
>> issues a BODY or ARTICLE command.
>
> I'm on the fence whether this makes sense for POP.  But we've used
> U Wash for a long time and marking them as seen has not raised any
> questions that I can recall, so that behavior must be what users
> expect or accept.

Does UW simply mark the messages as \Seen after a RETR?  I don't see any
other way to determine if the user has actually read the message.

 > The braintwister is that POP
> mark deleted and IMAP mark deleted don't need to be the same thing,
> so maybe POP expunge and IMAP expunge don't need to be the same thing
> either.

If we do something with IMAP flags, I'd like to make the above thing
equivalent.  Otherwise I don't see much point.

> The practical problem is that POP-only users would have no way to
> really expunge if DELE and QUIT don't do it, so they'd accumulate
> mail until they run out of quota.  And then what do they do?

Right, which is why we need a way to allow POP3-only users to continue
business as usual.  Presumably, by a mailbox annotation which would
disable the global pop3_use_imapflags option.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer