[POLL] pop3d/nntpd and IMAP flags

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Oct 25 13:10:51 EDT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Ken Murchison wrote:
> It would be fairly straightforward to have an option that updated \Seen
> state whenever a POP3 client issues a RETR command or an NNTP client
> issues a BODY or ARTICLE command.

I vote for this change, and if it is optional, I'd vote for it to be the
default behaviour.

> My question is what do people think of the interaction between
> pop3d/nntpd and the \Deleted flag?  Should these daemons ignore articles
> that have this flag set?  Should a POP3 DELE command or a NNTP cancel
> message just set the \Deleted flag instead of expunging the message?

I vote for two possible behaviours, selectable via imapd.conf:
  1. pop3/nntp DELE/cancel sets \Delete flag. pop3 QUIT causes expunge
  2. what we have now (this would be the default).

> Should any setting which enables pop3d/nntpd to use IMAP flags be global
> or per-mailbox?

I'd be happy enough with it being global.  If it is made per-mailbox, IMHO
it would be good to have it work as follows: a "global" option that applies
to every mailbox, and a per-mailbox annotation that overrides the global
option for this mailbox subtree.

  Henrique Holschuh