Cyrus, sendmail and Cyrus SASL on CentOS4.1

Petre Agenbag petre at africanhuntersguild.com
Mon Oct 10 10:35:04 EDT 2005

Hi List

I recently tried to get the distributed rpm's for CyrusImap, sendmail
and cyrus sasl that came with CentOS4.1 to act as my IMAP/POP3
mail-server.

I'm fairly familiar with this combination, coming from RHEL3 with
source-built cyrus and sendmail running just fine; however, when I saw
the rpm's that came with CentOS4.1, I thought it would be good to use
rpm's since yum could do the updating for me...

I got everything to work fairly well, except the authentication; users
can successfully authenticate to collect mail via POP3 and IMAP, but
when trying to send thru the server, the authentication fails with the
following:

Oct 10 16:27:19 apollo saslauthd[2448]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=testing] [service=smtp] [realm=] [mech=shadow] [reason=Unknown]

Here is /etc/imapd.conf

configdirectory: /var/lib/imap

partition-default: /var/spool/imap

admins: cyrus

sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve

sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail

hashimapspool: true

lmtpsocket: /var/imap/socket/lmtp

virtdomains: userid

sasl_pwcheck_metd: saslauthd

sasl_mech_list: PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 LOGIN

#tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem

#tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem

#tls_ca_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

tls_ca_file: /var/lib/imap/server.pem

tls_cert_file: /var/lib/imap/server.pem

tls_key_file: /var/lib/imap/server.pem

and /etc/cyrus.conf

# standard standalone server implementation

START {

  # do not delete this entry!

  recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"

  # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE

#  idled                cmd="idled"

}

# UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/lib/imap/sockets

SERVICES {

  # add or remove based on preferences

  imap          cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=5

  imaps         cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=1

  pop3          cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=3

  pop3s         cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=1

  sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0

  # these are only necessary if receiving/exporting usenet via NNTP

#  nntp         cmd="nntpd" listen="nntp" prefork=3

#  nntps                cmd="nntpd -s" listen="nntps" prefork=1

  # at least one LMTP is required for delivery

#  lmtp         cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0

  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1

  # this is only necessary if using notifications

#  notify       cmd="notifyd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/notify"
proto="udp" prefork=1

}

EVENTS {

  # this is required

  checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

  # this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression,

  # Sieve or NNTP

  delprune      cmd="cyr_expire -E 3" at=0400

  # this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions

  tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" at=0400

}

And here is the versions of cyrus and sendmail:

cyrus-sasl-2.1.19-5.EL4

cyrus-imapd-utils-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1

cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.19-5.EL4

cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1

cyrus-imapd-devel-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1

cyrus-imapd-nntp-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1

cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.19-5.EL4

cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.19-5.EL4

cyrus-imapd-murder-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1

sendmail-8.13.1-2

sendmail-cf-8.13.1-2

>From the bits and pieces on forums everywhere it seems that the problem
is with saslauth?

I am planning to run multiple virtual hosts on this server and no LDAP.

Can anyone help me to sort this problem out?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Petre