Usig cyrus with qmail?

Zachariah Mully zmully-kolab at smartbrief.com
Tue Oct 4 12:42:02 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 09:26 -0400, Matt Singerman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I administer a mail server which currently uses Sendmail as the MTA,
> and Cyrus for IMAP mail services.  I am very satisfied with Cyrus, but
> would like to replace Sendmail for a variety of reasons.  Ideally, I
> would like to use qmail, but I cannot find any information that is
> helpful for our situation.  None of our users have login accounts on
> the server - they have only Cyrus accounts with passwords set and
> stored via sasl.  All the solutions I have found to getting qmail to
> work with cyrus (usually via procmail) begins with "modify the users
> .qmail file..."  Has anyone on here managed to use qmail sitewide
> without user accounts?  If not, what MTA would you recommend?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Matt-
	I've been a die-hard qmail user for the past 6 years, and have probably
sent at least a half billion messages off it. BUT, this year, I moved
everything to Postfix 2.x and I've never been happier. Not only is it
just as robust as qmail, it is far simplier, IME, to administer as well
as diagnose when something goes wrong. Just yesterday I was reminded of
this when my last remaining qmail install starting acting funky because
of a mail loop (my fault). Instead of being able to quickly look at the
queues, diagnose and solve the problem, as I would have been able to do
with postfix and such tools as pfqueue and qshape, it took me several
hours to fix the problem and required me to stop qmail completely
(resulting in many calls).
	What I discovered in my deployment of
Cyrus/Postfix/LDAP/SASL/Amavis/Clamd/Horde was that even though the
setup is far more complex than my old UW-IMAP/qmail install, I am able
to offer more services (SMTP-AUTH, TLS, centralized LDAP auth, etc.) far
more simply than I ever could with qmail. The net-qmail and qmail-ldap
projects are certainly worthy endeavors, but represent a lot of work by
third parties simply to integrate the all patches needed. And they still
don't get you nearly as much as Postfix does... If you plan on
implementing SMTP-AUTH, TLS or any other such features, I strongly
recommend that you go with Postfix, it'll make your life much easier
when you have to implement these in the future.