Connection rates

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Tue Nov 29 13:09:00 EST 2005

--On November 29, 2005 12:32:03 PM +0000 James Davis <jamesd at jml.net> wrote:

> I'm mostly using my Cyrus install as an IMAP server but I have one or
> two users who insist on using POP3 for various reasons. They keep on
> getting errors regarding the number of connections they are making per
> minute to the server which appears to be rate limited to one connection
> per 60 seconds. Where can I change this limit?

I would tell them to check once every 2-5 minutes.  Unless you're sure you
won't ever get very many users.  On our mail systems at work POP3 users
checking every minute or less account for almost half of the total system
load, maybe more.  We weren't able to change to enforcing the timeout rules
because there are too many too used to checking too often.  Noone gets that
much email, not even me. heh :)

If you're really interested in potentially shooting yourself in the foot
for later the value to change is in the imapd.conf file value 'popminpoll'.