cyradm not working after upgrade

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Tue Nov 29 10:06:27 EST 2005

Matt Singerman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently upgraded our mailserver from FreeBSD 5.2.1 to 6.0.  Most
> items work perfectly fine after the upgrade (and thankfully, that
> includes Cyrus itself), but cyradm no longer works:
>
> # cyradm --user=cyrus localhost
> Can't locate Cyrus/IMAP/Shell.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/mach
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/BSDPAN /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/mach
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5 .).
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
>
> Now, as part of the upgrade, I installed perl 5.8 (previously, Perl
> 5.6 had been installed), and I am assuming that this is the root of
> the problem.  Is there a simple solution to fix this, such as
> correcting the libraries?  I already tried copying over Shell.pm to
> one of the searched directories, but that didn't work.  Alternately,
> can I reinstall cyradm, and if so, what is the best way to go about
> this?

FWIW, I'm currently evaluating Cyrus IMAP on a Slackware Linux server,
and experienced the same thing last week. Because I had multiple perl
versions on the machine, the module was installed in the wrong place. I
fixed this easily by copying the entire module directory to the search
path (not just Shell.pm) and it worked fine. Since I was tweaking config
settings for use on a production server, I then did a complete
reinstall, using --prefix=/usr (which was appropriate for my machine,
but maybe not yours).

I don't know what you're dealing with on FreeBSD, but you can probably
just copy the files as I did. Other options include extending the path
with the PERL5LIB environment variable (for just the user or globally),
or installing the Cyrus::IMAP perl module again from source, making sure
you run it with the correct version of perl or explicitly setting the
target directory in the Makefile.

Then again, maybe a complete reinstall of Cyrus IMAP will just work.