[POLL] unexpunge behavior

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 3 11:51:38 EDT 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Ken Murchison wrote:

> So, my question is, what should the *default* behavior of unexpunge be:
>
> A. only unexpunge the message and leave the \Deleted flag set as-is (only undo
> the expunge step)?
>
> B. unexpunge the message and unset the \Deleted flag (undo both the expunge
> and delete steps)?

Our experience of unexpunge is that there are two common cases:

1) A POP user agents downloads and deletes everything (no \Deleted set)

2) People delete a specific message (or mailbox) by accident using a
   IMAP user agent and want it restored.

My vote would be to leave the \Deleted set as-is (option A above).

This means that the system administrator can unexpunge all messages in a
given mailbox (all messages expunged in a given time period if the
implementation allows). The user undeletes the specific messages that they
want to keep, and then hits expunge again to clear out the rest. Of course
this only really helps if the IMAP and Webmail clients that they use gives
a useful presentation of deleted messages.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.