Question about cyrus quotas - how it behaves

Anthony Tibbs anthony-list at tibbs.ca
Thu May 5 18:36:28 EDT 2005

>> Check out quotawarn: and quotawarnkb: in man imapd.conf.  They result in
>> IMAP ALERT messages being generated.
>
> Note that these alerts are sent on SELECT, and it has been claimed that
> Outlook SELECTs a lot, making it unusable. I have not verified this.

Indeed, this can be a problem if you have a large number of folders.  For
example, I have about 30 folders under my Inbox for archived messages,
various mailing lists, etc., and if I ever get near the quota, hitting
Control+M to poll for messages is a really bad idea, because I'll get an
alert dialog at least once for each and every folder -- and there's nothing
you can do but keep hitting ENTER until it is done.

It can be annoying, but I'd wager that most people don't sit above that 90%
threshold for long, before they clue in and dump some old mail.