Question about cyrus quotas - how it behaves

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue May 10 12:39:50 EDT 2005

Anthony Tibbs wrote:

>>> Check out quotawarn: and quotawarnkb: in man imapd.conf.  They result
>>> in IMAP ALERT messages being generated.
>>

>> Note that these alerts are sent on SELECT, and it has been claimed
>> that Outlook SELECTs a lot, making it unusable. I have not verified this.
>

> Indeed, this can be a problem if you have a large number of folders.
> For example, I have about 30 folders under my Inbox for archived
> messages, various mailing lists, etc., and if I ever get near the quota,
> hitting Control+M to poll for messages is a really bad idea, because
> I'll get an alert dialog at least once for each and every folder -- and
> there's nothing you can do but keep hitting ENTER until it is done.

You can try this patch patch from CVS which I just committed:

http://bugzilla.andrew.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/cyrus/imap/imapd.c.diff?r1=1.490&r2=1.491&f=u

I will reduce the number of ALERTs for any given quotaroot to one every
10 minutes.  I thought about reducing it to just one per quotaroot, but
if a user is over quota, I think we want to nag them a little bit.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127