is this a DB lock problem?

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Thu May 5 12:12:14 EDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005 12:03:06 -0400 (EDT) Igor Brezac <igor at ipass.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 May 2005, Phil Chambers wrote:
>
> > I am running cyrus-imap-2.2.8 and it has been running continuously for over a year
> > without a shutdown.  Today I suddenly have a problem which shows up with Mulberry.
> > Mulberry hangs at startup while trying to obtain a list of all users.
> >
> > A protocol log on cyrus show that the the IMAP process has obtained a list of the
> > user's folders and then issued:
> >
> >  A00006 LIST "" "user.%"
> >
> > command. The IMAP process has not responded and appears to be hanging and does not
> > time-out (at least, I have waited several minutes).
>
> This is causing your lockers to steadily increase.  Do you know if such
> processes crash?

It appears that master eventually kills them for being idle for too long.

I subsequently discovered the LMTP was hanging for some users too and Exim was
timing out, causing the queues to build up.  the system also started to run out of
processes so I was forced to shut the cyrus system down.  On re-starting all appears
to be back to normal.  It would be nice to know what was happening.

Phil.