put on the subject line. was: spam

Greg Harris gharris at mail.nixa.k12.mo.us
Tue May 17 08:43:44 EDT 2005

>  >My MacOSX Mail application cannot sort mail from here into the right
>  >postboxes.
> Then you must not be doing it right.  Any message coming
> through the list has in the headers:
>   Sender: owner-info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
>
> I haven't had a problem with sorting on that with any tool that I
> have tried.
>
> While I see how some people may want to have some special identifier
> in the Subject of the message, I think the claims that they can't get
> things auto-sorted are exagerations.   More often it's the case
> they don't want to auto-sort, but be able to quickly pick things out
> of their unsorted incoming message list.
>
> Getting the Subject line tags right can be a problem too.  Some clients
> mess up various replies so you get things like
> Re: [info-cyrus] RE: [info-cyrus] FWD:Re: [info-cyrus] put on the subject
> line.
>
> -_Gene

While I agree with you that sorting is probably possible on any client, it
is really nice when the tags are in place.  They make things much cleaner
when the occasional e-mail jumps through the hoops because of a slight
change in the addressing scheme.  If I can set my filter to look for any
instance of [Info-Cyrus] in the subject line, then everything that is
supposed to go to that folder goes and nothing else.

While some subject lines do get a little messy, it is easier for a person to
jump past all of the junk in the subject line than to move messages between
folders.  This is the only list that I know of that does not add a tag to
the subject line and I have always thought that it was a little weird and
wished it was there.

Just an opinion,

Greg Harris