Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.18 no login via SSL

Lars Hanke lars at lhanke.de
Thu May 19 18:25:51 EDT 2005

Hi there,

just another info I forgot in my posting from May 17th:

short: login via telnet works fine, login via SSL hangs after login
command sent, if and only if, the correct password is supplied. imapd is
capable of cleanly denying access, if the wrong password is supplied:

#> openssl s_client -connect mail:imaps
[strip certificate stuff]
Verify return code: 19 (self signed certificate in certificate chain)
---
* OK verdani Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.18-IPv6-Debian-2.1.18-1 server ready
a001 login mgr foobar
a001 NO Login failed: authentication failure

instead of

> openssh s_client -connect verdani:imaps
> [stripped most of certificates and such]
> Verify return code: 19 (self signed certificate in certificate chain)
> ---
> * OK verdani Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.18-IPv6-Debian-2.1.18-1 server ready
> a001 login mgr ******
>
> and it simply does not return anymore.

I also tried all variants of -no_tls1 through -no_ssl3 yielding no
different behaviour.

It had worked fine before the last Debian update, but I actually do not
know, which version it had been before, and if probably different stuff
had been changed. I appreciate any help in troubleshooting - logs to
check, manuals to read, good food for google, etc. Currently I'm running
in circles and sometimes simply stare in wonder.

Regards,
 - lars.