migrating servers

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Mar 1 09:34:24 EST 2005

Jonathan Villa wrote:
> What would be the process if I wanted to move an installation from one server
> to another...
>
> nothing is corrupted... things are working fine... just need to resintall the
> os on one server...
>
> The new server is already setup and working great...
>
> Can I just copy /var/imap/* and /var/spool/imap/* to the new server?
>
> I've copied /etc/sasldb to the new server and it's working just fine for SMTP
> authentication.

If it's the same architecture and versions of cyrus and db are the same,
it should work just fine.  I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.  If
it isn't the same architecture (for example intel to sparc), I'm not
sure if you would be able to simply copy database files over.  In that
case you'd probably need to dump db files into text files, and reimport
them.

Hmmm...  BTW, how does one dumps and restores database to/from text
files if skiplist is used?