Playing with replicated murder

Christoph Moench-Tegeder cmt at burggraben.net
Thu Mar 3 17:59:41 EST 2005

## Ken Murchison (ken at oceana.com):

> >I am a little confused over the location of configdirectory, some of its
> >contents (like the DB environment, the socket und the proc directorys)
> >should be kept per node (I believe), while others (as quota files)
> >should be shared between nodes. What about the replicated mailboxes.db?
> >What am I missing?
> I'm assuming that your talking about the current code in 2.3 which uses
> MUPDATE to replicate mailboxes.db across multiple backends sharing the
> same spool.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Currently I'm using code from CVS as
of 2005-02-14.

> mailboxes.db is local to each machine, as are deliver.db and tls_sessions.db
> The user's seen state and subscriptions, as well as quotaroots can be
> shared on the SAN.
> So basically /var/imap is local, but /var/imap/user, /var/imap/quota,
> /var/spool/imap are on the SAN.

Are symlinks "the right way" to do that or did I miss something in
imapd.conf.5?

> Note that the university that I wrote the code for has abandoned it
> because of problems with Sun's SAN filesystem.

Hm. Polyserve claims their filesystem "exhibits the same behavior
as an ext3 file system", but that's marketing... We will see.
That's what tests are for :) In any case, I will report here.

Is there anything special I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Christoph

--