Cyrus POP3 Issue

L. Mark Stone lmstone at RNoME.com
Thu Mar 3 21:59:04 EST 2005

I'm running Cyrus 2.2.3 on SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, installed
from SuSE's rpm packages.

The POP server component is giving us a problem.  It often fails to
respond to connection requests in a timely manner, if at all.  IMAP
shows no such problems; IMAP responds to telnet requests very fast
indeed (like, within 60ms).  The server hardware is not heavily loaded,
so we don't see this as a resource constraint issue.

See for example:
inside:~ # telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

Sometimes the server responds with an "+OK..." immediately, sometimes
after 5-10 seconds, more often not at all.  Nothing in the logs that we
can see.  Googling and a review of the docs have yielded no hits, so we
are posting here.

Basically, we are just trying to figure out where to start looking to
troubleshoot this.

Any ideas/suggestions/pointers, etc. greatly appreciated,
Mark

A Message From...  L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC

"We manage your network so you can manage your business."

477 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Tel: (207) 772-5678
Web: http://www.rnome.com