Cyrus POP3 Issue

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 14 11:33:39 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Marco Colombo wrote:

> Now, can you claim conformance to RFC 2831 if you're using /dev/urandom?
> Does the fact that your cyrus server is heavily used fall under those
> "particular circumstances"? Or is it normal operations, instead?
> What are the "valid reasons" you found not to use /dev/random, in your
> _particular_ case?

That the server will basicly fail to function if /dev/random is blocks
indefinately?

If a site feels they need more entropy, they can always use /dev/random
(or any other source of entropy).  We originally had that as
a default configuration, but in a large number of deployments, it
caused more problems than it solved.

-Rob