[Annotatemore] /motd

kael kael at alussinan.org
Tue Mar 8 09:26:36 EST 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to manage the ANNOTATEMORE /motd as 'cyrus' user but the
server returns 'permission denied':

02 SETANNOTATION "INBOX" "/motd" ("value.shared" "Its sunny outside!")
02 NO Permission denied
03 SETANNOTATION "/" "/motd" ("value.shared" "Hello")
03 NO Permission denied

There may be a tip (maybe with ACL) but I don't get it.

I'm wondering also if the ANNOTATEMORE /motd is displayed in the same
way as the configdirectory/msg/motd (mentioned in _Managing IMAP_, p. 119).

<excerpt>
"If the configdirectory/msg/motd exists under the config directory,
imapd sends the first line in the file to the client as an ALERT message
when a connection is made. Many clients handle ALERTs poorly (by
connecting more frequently than is necessary and thus displaying the
alert for each connection and annoying user) or not at all".
</excerpt>

Thunderbird supports this MOTD poorly as described above - the ALERT is
sent each time a mailbox is opened and it is very annoying.

But Thunderbird supports it. So I believe it could display the
ANNOTATEMORE /motd, maybe differenlty from configdirectory/msg/motd.

Has anybody experimented this annotation ?

Thanks for your contribution.

--
kael