cyrus daemons: -U option

kael kael at alussinan.org
Fri Mar 11 18:52:20 EST 2005

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Jukka Salmi wrote:
>
>>why is it needed to shut down a process after it has handled a certain
>>amount of connections? I'm talking about the -U option to imapd, pop3d,
>>lmtpd, nntpd, etc.
>
> It is not _needed_.  But it is a defense against lurking bugs that leak
> memory, and againt some scenarios of memory corruption and attacks.
>
> It is just a safety net.  If it is causing too much of a performance
> drawback for you, don't use it.

I'm also interested with this question; specially, I don't clearly
understand what the -U and -T options infer.

My goal is to run nntpd 24/7 without need to do anything else except
launching it once; but currently, nntpd starts and then stops after
15-20 minutes.

cyrus-master seems to be involved with this problem but I can't find how.

In /etc/cyrus.conf, I added in the SERVICES section:

nntp          cmd="nntpd -U 500 -T 600 -f " listen="nntp" prefork=5

then started cyrus like this:

$ /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-master

... instead of:

$ service cyrus-imapd start

... but unsuccessfully.

Because the feed regularly stops to be delivered, I'm wondering if an
EVENT should be created in /etc/cyrus.conf for nntpd.

I hope you could enlighten.

Thank you very much.

--
kael