Conversion from UW to Cyrus _and_ keeping IMAP flags?

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Mar 16 13:19:22 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Alan Thew wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:40 , Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> said:
>
>> On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 13:59 +0000, Alan Thew wrote:
>>> Has anyone tried using a batch process (for speed) _and_ managed to keep
>>> the flags?
>>>
>>> I've not found anything on the web/wiki that indicates this. If I had the
>>> flag data, how would I get this to Cyrus?
>> ----
>> imapsync works nice
>>
>> problem with batch is that you would have to feed it names/passwords for
>> accounts on both servers
>>
> My understanding is that imapsync and other imap->imap tools take a long time
> (we have > 15,000 users with large amounts of mail). The batch methods I
> refered to are the type of tools on the Wiki and in the "Managing IMAP" book,
> which normally throw the imap flag data away...

(thinking out loud here)

I think the main problem is getting the Seen flag into Cyrus.  It would be
fairly easy to parse the mbox format message for the flag.  You'd need to
keep track of the number of the message in cyrus (1., 2., 3., etc), then
write that into the seen.db file correctly, perhaps after you've processed
the last message in that mailbox.

On a related note, one thing which I wish I had done when I migrated was
set the timestamp on the message files to match the internal timestamp.
Some email clients (Outlook, notably), would show the time of the message
as the time of the message file (1., 2., etc), not the time recorded in
the message headers.  There is an entirely separate column in Outlook for
showing the "real" time of the message, but it doesn't default to that
one.  If you are going to take the effect to parse the mbox format
message, you'll probably want to grab the internal date and "touch" the
resulting message file (1., 2., etc).

 	Andy