is another master still running

websrvr websrvr at macftphttp.serverbox.org
Wed Jun 1 05:41:42 EDT 2005

I'm trying to run two instances of cyrusimap for configuration
purposes to avoid destroying vendor supplied functionality on one IP
while I utilize upstream functionality on the another IP.

While I can specify the alternate config file to use, it seems I have
an issue with a pid file.

Here's the log error:
Jun  1 05:23:22 dellc master[2601]: cannot get exclusive lock on
pidfile (is another master still running?)
Jun  1 05:23:22 dellc master[2601]: exiting

How do I specify an alternate pid file to avoid the conflict or is
there another/better solution for this??

I made the assumption that the default config file was cyrus.conf.

cyrus is  started with the following command through launchd: (This
is how my vendor starts things)
/usr/bin/cyrus/bin/master -c /etc/cyrusalt.conf

Launchd is a daemon startup processing environment and it does
allowse some flexibility of adding additional arguments.

Here's the current launchd script for the alt config:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
     <key>Label</key>
     <string>edu.cmu.andrew.cyrusalt.master</string>
     <key>OnDemand</key>
     <false/>
     <key>Program</key>
     <string>/usr/bin/cyrus/bin/master</string>
     <key>ProgramArguments</key>
     <array>
         <string>master</string>
         <string>-c</string>
         <string>/etc/cyrusalt.conf</string>
     </array>
     <key>ServiceIPC</key>
     <false/>
</dict>
</plist>

Here is the /etc/cyrusalt.conf file: (hope this is correct)
# standard standalone server implementation

START {
   # do not delete this entry!
   recover    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"

   # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
#  idled        cmd="idled"
}

# UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/imap/socket
SERVICES {

   # add or remove based on preferences
   imapalt        cmd="imapd -c /etc/imapdalt.conf"
listen="[10.1.100.11:]imap" prefork=0
#  imaps        cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=0
   pop3alt        cmd="pop3d -c /etc/imapdalt.conf"
listen="[10.1.100.11:]pop3" prefork=0
#  pop3s        cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=0
   sievealt        cmd="timsieved -c /etc/imapdalt.conf"
listen="[10.1.100.11:]sieve" prefork=0
   # at least one LMTP is required for delivery
#  lmtp        cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
   lmtpaltunix    cmd="lmtpd -c /etc/imapdalt.conf" listen="/var/imap/
socket/lmtpalt" prefork=0
   # this is only necessary if using notifications
#  notify    cmd="notifyd" listen="/var/imap/socket/notify"
proto="udp" prefork=1

}

EVENTS {
   # this is required
   checkaltpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

   # this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression
   delaltprune    cmd="ctl_deliver -E 3" at=0400

   # this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions
   tlsaltprune    cmd="tls_prune" at=0400
}

LIMITS {
   imaplimit    value=0