Unable to login

Imran Aziz jalal7 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 08:47:18 EDT 2005

Hello All,
  I have finally managed to install Cyrus IMAP. But I am unable to
login to the server to create new accounts.

I am using this command

/usr/local/bin/imtest -m login -a USER localhost

but I get a authentication failure

and my imapd.conf has this configuration

configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_ca_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

I have changed the cyrus user password created on the OS to login
using that, but it does not work. I am new to this, so dont know which
authentication database I am using and how to manage it.

Please kindly give me some tips how to manage the IMAP server.

Thanks a lot.
Imran.