authorization with ptloader and authentication by sasl

Thomas Vogt tv at solnet.ch
Wed Jun 8 17:56:36 EDT 2005

Hi all

With ptload we've a nice tool to connect to an ldap backend. And with
ldap_filter in imapd.conf the user has the ability to do nice
things.This works very well. But as I understand this is only the
authorization mechanism. I always have problems with the
authentication (sasl).

An example. Lets say we have this user information in the ldap backend.
# usermail04, people, freeweb, freeweb, ch
dn: uid=usermail04, ou=people,ou=freeweb,dc=freeweb,dc=ch
uid: usermail04
sn: none
uidNumber: -1
gidNumber: -1
homeDirectory: /nonexistent
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: xMail
cn: Testuser
userPassword:: e01EaEgMEUs4gaUmRZSU9xSll0Y1FnPT0K
maildrop: usermail04 at mail04.freeweb.ch
alias: smail04 at freeweb.ch
alias: usermail04 at freeweb.ch

I can login without problem if I use the uid as username and the
correct password (auth=pts). But is it not possible to use the alias
value too with the same password for the login procedure?
My problem is, that I've an application which is generating random
uid as username. Only the alias value is human readable. Which mean
I'll give the user the ability to use his alias name for the pop3/
imap authentication. Of course it should work with the uid too. Is
there no configuration magic which can do that?

A few months ago Igor Brezac send me an example patch. But I never
figured out how it works.

Regards,
Thomas