Message contains invalid header

Peter A. Friend octavian at corp.earthlink.net
Thu Jun 9 12:47:56 EDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 8:56 AM, User Siggi wrote:

My response inline...

> I'm having the following problem.  If someone could tell me why
> this error occurs I would be most thankful.  Platform is Mac OSX
> Server 10.4.1.
>
> relay=cyrus, delay=1, status=bounced (data format error. Command
> output: john: Message contains invalid header )
>
> This being the message's header.  I changed some of the addresses:

> by localhost (sendmail [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with
> ESMTP
> id 24790-07 for <john at company2.com>; Thu,  9 Jun 2005 14:19:01
> +0000 (GMT)

If the header above indeed came through that way, that would be it.
The header is not properly wrapped. What apps do in this situation
varies. Some barf and refuse the message, some skip the header, and
others insert a header separator at that point (during SMTP).
Received headers are in general not easily parsed by machine, and not
stored in the indexes, so I would think that skipping in this case
would be "liberal in what you accept" behavior. Risk is of course a
mail client that is less forgiving than the server.

Peter