backup without stopping the imap server?

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Jun 10 13:37:17 EDT 2005

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, James Treleaven wrote:

> The best idea I have seen is two rsync's: the first while the server is
> running and the second (much faster one) with it momentarily stopped.

Unfortunately, even rsync can take a very long time.  I'm preparing to
migrate to a new Cyrus server and I plan to use rsync.  I've been doing
daily rsyncs of the mail spool in preparation for the final rsync while
the old server is stopped.  We have about 375GB of mail in 6 million+
files, and the rsync process takes about 6 hours.  It's not the size of
the data (although the initial rsync did take considerably longer).  Just
calculating the differences for that many files is a lot of work.  :)

 	Andy