cyrus-imapd pop3 authentication

Vijay Kumar vijay at calsoftinc.com
Wed Jun 22 11:23:10 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am running cyrus-imapd-2.2.10 on RHEL 4 system.

We have created a user test with passwd test and we want to this user to
receive email.

When we do a "telnet <ip> 110 and then give the USER and PASS commands , we
are notable to login using the user id and passwd. Error given is : -[ERR]
AUTH Invalid Login.

The logs show an error "unknown password identifier"

Here's the imapd.conf  file :

configdirectory: /var/lib/imap

partition-default: /var/spool/imap

admins: cyrus root

sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve

sendmail: /opt/postfix/sbin/sendmail

hashimapspool: true

sasl_pwcheck_method:passwd

sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem

tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem

tls_ca_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

I have tried replacing the sasl_pwcheck_method with shadow and unix
keywords.

How can we configure support for /etc/passwd file, so that the same can be
checked ?

Do we need to create Maildir in every users home directory ?

Kindly help.

Regards,

Vijay.