Tunning for large number of files in INBOX

Marco Colombo marco at esi.it
Mon Jul 4 09:54:16 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 13:22 -0300, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 02:56:58PM -0600, Michael Loftis wrote:
> > clients retrofitted to squak IMAP.  Get a real IMAP client like Mulberry
> > that takes advantage of server side sorting, threading, and searching to
> > allow for (nearly) limitless mailboxes but not download each and every
> > header.
>
> Is there a "real IMAP client" which is free software?
> I have seen this "downloading *all* headers" behaviour with every free
> imap client I have tried.

Not that I'm suggesting it, but pine doesn't show the "all headers"
behavior, and it's free. :-)

Too bad they forgot that an imap folder can hold both messages and
subfolders, and they had to add a late hack to allow the correct
browsing of a Cyrus server. No client is perfect.

Being an old-time user of Pine, it's always a pain to use Thunderbird or
Evolution, clients so feature-full but w/o decent imap behavior:
sometimes I have to switch back to Pine to be able to handle 50k+ new
messages per folder in a decent time (Pine takes negligible time to open
them).

.TM.
--
     /      /       /                   Marco Colombo