cyrus quota beavior

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Jul 1 09:37:40 EDT 2005

Christian Anton wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> i use web-cyradm in the actual cvs version and have the following problem with
> cyrus and its quotas:
>
> I use the option:
> lmtp_over_quota_perm_failure: 1
> in my imapd.conf to ensure that when the mailbox's quota is over, the mail is
> rejected to the sender.
>
> But it seems that cyrus acceps a message if it is bigger than the quota
> allows. For example, the user has 4MB free space in his mailbox, he gets an
> email of 6MB space. The mail will be accepted and the user is over quota.

This is correct.  This was a design decision made a long time ago
(several maintainers ago).  I don't recall the logic, but it made sense
to me when it was explained.

> The problem: It is not anymore possible to delete this mail because most of my
> users use IMAP or squirrelmail and when they "delete" a message it ist moved
> to "Trash"-Folder. Moving a message is not possible because the mailbox is
> OVER quota.
>
> Is it possible to make cyrus not only reject mails when the quota is already
> reached but rejecting them if they would not fit in the mailbox?

Not without a patch, but it shouldn't be too difficult.  This would be a
good feature candidate that you should add to bugzilla.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127