moving message on nearly full mailbox with IMAP

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Thu Jul 7 08:22:24 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 01:34 pm, Gregg Berkholtz wrote:
> I dont see that behavior on my Linux-based systems. When I issue a
> "mv" for many thousands of files, or for very large files, the change
> occurs immediately. At least in the sense that a "sync" shows no
> pending operations, even after issuing a command such as:
>  mv /home/user/2GBfile.txt /tmp/2GBfile.txt; sync
>
> Of course that assumes the mv source/destination are on the same
> partition.

I believe this kind of move is not, in essence, a copy/delete but simply
a rename. That's why it happens so quickly.
Seems to make sense that the IMAP server cannot simply initiate a rename
and automagically have all of the supporting databases correctly
updated. It needs to do a real copy/delete like mv would if you were
moving between partitions.