unable to start imapd on FreeBSD

Matt Singerman matt.singerman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 14:33:26 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I am setting up a new machine to host IMAP mailboxes.  I chose FreeBSD
for this, since it is stable and I am fairly familiar with it.  After
doing the base install and setup, I attempted to install cyrus-imapd2
by doing the following:

# cd /usr/ports/mail/cyrus-imapd2
# make all install

However, it ran into problems installing rc_subr - specifically, it
was trying to download 1.16, which is not available on FTP servers.  I
opted to change this by getting rid of the distfile to disable MD5
checking (I am reasonably sure that the freebsd.org servers can be
trusted), and changed the Makefile information to reflect the version
that is availablem 1.31.  After doing that, everything else installed
without a hitch.

I then went and modified /usr/local/etc/imapd.conf to include the
relevant information, setup sendmail, etc.  I set cyrus' password via
saslpasswd2.  However, when I went to test the server as user cyrus, I
got this:

%imtest -m login -p imap localhost
connect: Connection refused
failure: Network initialization

I check and low and behold, imapd isn't running (I had run
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/imapd.sh start already).  I check
/var/log/messages, and I see this from when I ran imapd.sh:

Jul  2 14:09:18 newimap sudo: msingerm : TTY=ttyp0 ;
PWD=/usr/local/cyrus ; USER=root
 ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/su -
Jul  2 14:09:33 newimap imapd: could not getenv(CYRUS_SERVICE); exiting
Jul  2 14:09:43 newimap master[577]: process started
Jul  2 14:09:43 newimap ctl_cyrusdb[578]: recovering cyrus databases
Jul  2 14:09:43 newimap ctl_cyrusdb[578]: done recovering cyrus databases
Jul  2 14:09:43 newimap master[577]: ready for work
Jul  2 14:09:43 newimap ctl_cyrusdb[579]: checkpointing cyrus databases
Jul  2 14:09:43 newimap ctl_cyrusdb[579]: done checkpointing cyrus databases
Jul  2 14:16:29 newimap imapd: could not getenv(CYRUS_SERVICE); exiting

So...  Cyrus ain't starting properly.  I did some searching around for
the error message, but I wasn't able to turn anything up.  Any ideas?
I'm really at loss here.  Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards,

Matt