Thunderbird with shared folders

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Mon Jul 4 11:49:01 EDT 2005

Hi,

I've got a couple of users set up with shared folders here, and I'm
having a problem with Thunderbird correctly storing mail in them. I'm
posting it here in the hope someone has seen it before, as my experience
filing IMAP related bugs with mozilla.org has been that it's a good way
to get ignored for a couple of years....

Running Cyrus 2.1, and the user in question (foo, for the sake of this
mail) is subscribed to their own folders (i.e. user.foo.*). The user is
also subscribed to another users folders (bar, for the sake of this
mail). User "bar" has several subfolders, and is just a shared account -
set up under the user hierarchy as I need sieve functionality of mail
sent to it.

In Thunderbird, when the user sends mail from the main identity, the
message is stored in "user.foo.Sent", and all works as expected.
However, when mail is sent from the second configured identity, it is
supposed to be copied to "user.bar". This isn't happening - thunderbird
just hangs at this point trying to copy the sent message to the
configured folder. A protocol trace shows that it's doing completely the
wrong thing:-

16 OK Completed
17 list "" "INBOX^^user^bar"
17 OK Completed (0.000 secs 1 calls)
18 create "INBOX^^user^bar"
18 NO Invalid mailbox name
19 IDLE
+ idling

Obviously the reference to "INBOX" in the mailbox path it's using is
completely wrong. Has anyone seen this before with a Cyrus setup, and
are there any known workarounds?

Mike.