to squat or not to squat?

alex at milivojevic.org alex at milivojevic.org
Thu Jul 7 13:06:25 EDT 2005

I've found bunch of messages "SQUAT failed" messages in my log files.  Googling
around and checking mailing list archives showed they can be safely ignored, or
an line placed into cyrus.conf to enable "squatting" of mailboxes.  However, the
search also showed many people (that enabled squat in cyrus.conf) having
problems with it.

So couple of questions...

Have all problems with squat been sorted out?  I'm using Cyrus IMAPD 2.2.10
(from RHEL4 distribution), is it safe to use squat with it?

What "squat" is doing exactly?  What do I gain if I use it?  What do I loose if
I don't use it?  When does it make sense to start using it, and when I simply
should not be bothered with it?

Many thanks to any and all who can shed some light onto it for me,
Aleksandar Milivojevic