to squat or not to squat?

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Thu Jul 7 14:12:11 EDT 2005

alex at milivojevic.org wrote:
> What "squat" is doing exactly?  What do I gain if I use it?  What do I loose if
> I don't use it?  When does it make sense to start using it, and when I simply
> should not be bothered with it?

Running squatter indexes the text of all the messages in a particular
mailbox, and creates an index file in that mailbox that Cyrus will use
if the mail client makes a SEARCH request. When a user tries to search
through the content of their messages for a particular string, if
squatter has been run on that mailbox recently, it will be much, much
faster.

I run squatter nightly. As far as I know, if squatter fails on a
mailbox, that generally just means that searches won't be able to use
the index for that mailbox, and they will be slower than they would
otherwise.

-Jules