Problems Procmail/cyrus cooperation

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Tue Jul 12 04:15:36 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I've a very peculiar problem with procmail and cyrus.
My setup:
- fetchmail to pick up mail from some imap and pop resources, mail is
passed on to procmail.
- postfix to receive mail over smtp from remote hosts, mail is passed on
to procmail.
- procmail sorts the mail, mostly for maillists, and one pop account
that is whitelisted. Mail is delivered to cyrus imapd.

Now I have a problem with the interface of procmail and cyrus.
If procmail is started from fetchmail (running as root), everything goes
fine. Mail is sorted and delivered properly.
If procmail is started from postfix however (using "mailbox_command
= /usr/bin/procmail" in postfix' main.cf), it doesn't work. What I find
from the logs is that procmail accepts the mails, filters it correctly,
and delivers it to cyrus. Cyrus however does not store the mail, and the
mail is permanently lost. In the logs of cyrus I do see the mail being
processed! The only difference here is that procmail is now running as a
normal user (my user account). Both procmail and cyrus' "deliver"
program have the suid flag set. I think the problem is on the side of
cyrus, as I find an entry in the Cyrus logs for that particular mail,
but it is not in the mail base.

What can be wrong here?

Wouter.