Misc question about LDAP and admin stuff

Kevin Menard kmenard at servprise.com
Wed Jul 27 08:20:37 EDT 2005

Hi Igor,

On Jul 27, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Igor Brezac wrote:

>> Hmmm. I do know understand your LDAP performance comment.... Why
>> should you
>> write often to LDAP in a scenario like this??? You configure the
>> attributes
>> rarely  and then read them often. I can only see writes during
>> user password
>> change or any other admin changes of user attributes. *One* of the
>> golden
>> rules to use LDAP is to have *many* more reads for each write
>> (example
>> 1000:1). I work with LDAP in my daily work. But I maybe
>> missunderstood you...
>>

> You said you wanted quotas stored in ldap, this will require
> frequent writes to ldap

I'm going to chime in here if you don't mind, since several years ago
I began work on LDAP quota look-ups.  Unfortunately, I never
completed the work, although the design discussions between Larry and
me should still be in the archives.  Back then we felt, and I still
feel now, that you would only want to store the actual quota
threshold in LDAP.  There is no reason to store how much of the
mailbox is actually being used in LDAP, since this is in information
that is practically useless outside of Cyrus.  This would result in
read-only operations from the LDAP backend, unless a user's quota is
to be changed (which should be an infrequent operation).

--
Kevin