breakage issues that I haven't figured out how to resolve

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Sun Jul 24 05:45:12 EDT 2005

> Whiteboxlinux 3 (RHEL 3 clone) - Simon's rpm's
>
> # rpm -qa |grep cyrus-imapd
> cyrus-imapd-murder-2.2.12-1
> cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-1
> cyrus-imapd-utils-2.2.12-1
> cyrus-imapd-nntp-2.2.12-1
> cyrus-imapd-devel-2.2.12-1
>
> ran yum update and it broke badly (apparently db4 issues in update)
> Derek might recall that I rebuilt these rpm's on a RHEL 3 system that
> didn't have the interfering stuff compiled from source.
>
> Anyway
> # rpm -qa |grep cyrus-imapd
> cyrus-imapd-murder-2.2.12-1
> cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-1
> cyrus-imapd-utils-2.2.12-1
> cyrus-imapd-nntp-2.2.12-1
> cyrus-imapd-devel-2.2.12-1
> # rpm -qa|grep db4
> db4-devel-4.1.25-8
> db4-4.1.25-8
> db4-utils-4.1.25-8
>
> works ok now. db4 rpm's are the 'base' RHEL 3.
> the updated versions will break cyrus-imapd
> # grep db4 /var/log/yum.log
> 07/22/05 14:22:32 Updated: db4 4.1.25-8.1.WB1.i386
> 07/22/05 14:22:32 Updated: db4-devel 4.1.25-8.1.WB1.i386
> 07/22/05 14:22:32 Updated: db4-utils 4.1.25-8.1.WB1.i386
>
> So my questions...
>
> 1. Do I have to rpmbuild --rebuild cyrus-imapd source rpm's against this
> newer version of db4 for it to work? Seems that it shouldn't have broken
> cyrus-imapd

If the dp update is just a bug fix update, with same BDB version,
everything should work without modifying cyrus-imapd at all. So what
exactly went wrong?
I know that there is a problem in the rpm which affects poeople who change
database configuration in /etc/imapd.conf and the rpm should convert
databases on the fly but doesn't always do it correctly. The next release
will fix to bugs. However, I don't think that's what you did, right?

> 2. I ended up having to 'cm' createmailbox for the users (mainly me) and
> did 'reconstruct -rf user.craig' which got back all but nested
> subfolders. Meaning...
> /var/spool/imap/c/user/craig/SPAMBOX #is fine
> /var/spool/imap/c/user/craig/Saved/Shell Scripts #didn't get added to
> mailboxlist. Nothing in the 'Saved' subdirectory or 'logs' subdirectory
> was re-constructed. What's the trick?

Are you sure your databases are working correct? Maybe you want to look at
the logs first. Healing a broken BDB environment has been discussed on
this list recently and I'm no expert in BDB.

> 3. I lost all subscriptions (but the seen list was ok) and when I choose
> to 'subscribe' to folders from my mail client, I am told that the IMAP
> server doesn't support subscriptions... How to fix this?

I have no idea. BTW, if you're also using skiplist, make sure none of the
files is corrupt.

Simon