Trouble with cyrus-imap + saslauthd + pam_mysql

Jim Bartus jbartus at advance.net
Tue Jul 26 22:57:28 EDT 2005

Jim Bartus wrote:
  > What am I doing wrong here?  Should I have a different table structure
> in mysql?  Is there some config change I need to make to get it to *not*
> breakup the username?  Why does testsaslauthd work and nothing else?

Bit of a development.  I read somewhere that adding the "-r" flag when
saslauthd is run prevents breaking up the username so I put this in
/etc/sysconfig/saslauthd
-------------------------------------
FLAGS=-r
-------------------------------------

- using "testsaslauthd" it works same as always

- using "cyradm --user john at foo.org localhost" now produces a slightly
different error
-------------------------------------
saslauthd[19094]: SELECT pass FROM accounts WHERE user='john at foo.org'
saslauthd[19094]: returning 7 .
saslauthd[19094]: returning 7 after db_checkpasswd.
saslauthd[19094]: do_auth : auth failure: [user=john at foo.org]
[service=imap] [realm=foo.org] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM au
th error]
-------------------------------------

So at least I know the "-r" flag is working as advertized... its just
not solving my problem (or is causing another one).

Here's the interesting part, logging in with an IMAP client *claims to work*
-------------------------------------
saslauthd[19088]: SELECT pass FROM accounts WHERE user='john at foo.org'
saslauthd[19088]: sqlLog called.
saslauthd[19088]: insert into log (msg, user, host, pid, time)
values('AUTH SUCCESSFUL', 'john at foo.org', '', '19088', NOW())
saslauthd[19088]: Returning 0
saslauthd[19088]: returning 0 .
saslauthd[19088]: returning 0.
saslauthd[19088]: pam_mysql: acct_mgmt called but not implemented. Dont
panic though :)
imap[19170]: cross-realm login john at foo.org denied
But then out of nowhere cyrus-imap decides its not a fan of the new "-r"
flag (or so I interpret that, correct me if I'm wrong).

So I'm back to the "What am I doing wrong here?" question.

-jim