SMS notification in a cyrus-imapd environment

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 27 20:01:09 EDT 2005

> I'm interested to hear how people implemented SMS text notification in a
> cyrus-imapd environment. There are a lot of different tools around to send
> SMS and as I understand several different ways to implement it. Some ways
> may work better in a cyrus-imapd environment than others. So I'd like to
> get an idea how people who are using SMS notification implemented it.

We've implemented SMS notification via the sieve "notify" extension. We had
to get a few changes done to the cyrus side of things (specifically the
$text$ substitution variable), which I know are definitely in the 2.3 CVS
branch, but might be in 2.2 as well (Ken?).

We then wrote our own notification daemon in perl to take the message and
send it via an SMS gateway (after appropriate rate and billing checks for
the user). A bit of custom work, but it all seems to work pretty well.

Rob