Using aliases in Cyrus IMAP

Tammo Beishuizen tjbeishuizen at tamtie.nl
Wed Jul 27 17:54:03 EDT 2005

Hi there,

In my Suse 9.1 linux set-up I am using Postfix as MTA. To have an IMAP
server going on, I have choosen Cyrus so I can use Squirrelmail as
webmail.

The installation of Postfix went fine, although I hade som hick-ups
(Newbie stuff ...)

Installation of Cyrus goes fine as well. That is, I can use cyradm
to create mailboxes and I can use Squirrelmail to read these mailboxes.

The problem is the delivery of the mail by postfix into Cyrus. If I use
the unix user, let's say user1, as the e-mail address I send e-mail to,
it gets into cyrus.
However, if I use an alias like alias1 being mapped to user1 to send
an e-mail to, it is not deliverd, but returns an error message:

Jul 11 23:27:48 myhostname postfix/pipe[9497]: 86F13DE1:
to=<alias1 at mydomain>,
relay=cyrus, delay=1, status=bounced (data format error.
Command output: alias1: Mailbox does not exist )

The aliasing is done in /etc/aliases in the usual manner, and postalias'ed
and reloaded afterwards.

My overall purpose is to deliver mail from all aliases of a single user into

one cyrus mailbox.

The questions I have are:
	Is this an configuration error on postfix or cyrus ?
	How handles cyrus aliasing ?
	Which configuration item handles these aliases (virutal_alias_maps)?

Please consider the fact I am a newbie and that I have been googling already

quite a while.
Thanks for the answers are pointers to docs.

Tammo Beishuizen