Login problem.

Eric Gregory eric at gatewayconnections.com
Thu Jul 28 17:42:22 EDT 2005

I setup postfix +mysql + cyrus Imap today using the instructions locate
on this site.
http://www.wistful.net/~moon/my_freebsd_virtual_mail_howto.html

all config files are as recommeded in the walk through but when I try to
authenticate either through squirrelmail or telnetting to port 110 and
manually authing I get this in the log.

Jul 28 16:39:29 mx pop3[672]: sql plugin couldn't connect to any host
Jul 28 16:39:29 mx pop3[672]: sql plugin could not connect to host
localhost.gatewayconnections.com
Jul 28 16:39:29 mx pop3[672]: sql plugin couldn't connect to any host
Jul 28 16:39:29 mx pop3[672]: badlogin: localhost [::1] plaintext eric
SASL(-13): user not found: checkpass failed
or it says imap instead of pop3 if I use squirrelmail

Mysql is running, I can connect to it using: mysql -h localhost -u
postfix -p
so I think that means the socket is good.  I have replaced
localhost.gatewayconnections.com with localhost, 127.0.0.1 and the ip
address of the system and none have worked.

Can anyone offer me any hints as to what I'm doing wrong here.

The help is really appreciated
Eric Gregory
eric at gatewayconnections.com