[Mail Scanned!] Re: Sieve

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 23:54:12 EST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:21:47 +0800, Damian Chia
<damian at science.nus.edu.sg> wrote:
> When I tried to do a 'sieveshell localhost', I was prompted 'cannot
> connect ...'
>
> I checked netstat and sieve is running. Thats why, I really feel kind of
> lost as to where should I start to troubleshhot from...

I'm unsure what netstat is reporting, but you should be able to telnet
to the sieve port on your machine and see if sieve is actually
running. ie:

% telnet localhost sieve
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.1.17"
"SASL" "PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
relational regex"
"STARTTLS"
OK
^]
telnet> quit
%

If you can't connect then likely timsieved isn't actually running --
either it's not enabled in your config, or (this has bitten me before)
it's not defined in /etc/services on your machine.

Bryan