Where's my mail???

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Mon Jan 10 18:07:32 EST 2005

> * Simon Matter <simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com> [0147 21:47]:
>
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > This tells xinetd to fire up imapd when a connection comes into the
>> imap
>> > port.
>> > Don't know why you want that? Just uncomment the imap line in
>> cyrus.conf
>> > and have imapd start at system boot, it'll be more efficient.
>> > This isn't broken, though.
>
>> This _is_ broken. Only ancient versions of Cyrus-imapd ran from inetd,
>> this configuration is simply nonsense with 2.x.
>
> No, this is *stupid* - but it isn't causing the problem the OP sees.

I didn't say it has anything to do with the problem. Since cyrus-imapd
obviously works it's clearly not the problem here. However, if the server
is in production once, and you restart cyrus while clients are
connected/try to connect, the xinetd configured program will quickly jump
in and not let cyrus restart again.

Simon