Removing realm from usernames authenticated by GSSAPI (and two more unrelated questions)

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Jan 11 17:24:14 EST 2005

I've got authentication using GSSAPI working.  However, when I use
GSSAPI, imapd treats my login name as virtual domain.  Is there a way to
configure imapd to disregard @realm part of login that SASL returns?  I
have users in multiple realms, but usernames are guaranteed to be uniq,
so I don't want to configure virtual domains (there's also a longer
story why I can't do this, but I wan't bother people with it).

Examples.  If I login using plain or login:

$ imtest -m login -t "" mail-server
.... auth part snipped ....
. LIST "" "%"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"
. OK Completed (0.000 secs 6 calls)

In this case, imapd reports I was logged in as "foobar".

However, if I login using GSSAPI:

$ imtest mail-server
.... auth part snipped ....
. LIST "" "%"
. OK Completed (0.000 secs 1 calls)

In this case, imapd reports I was logged in as "foobar at realm".  So my
INBOX isn't there anymore.  What I really want is to be logged in as
just "foobar" (no "@realm").

While I'm at GSSAPI.  There's configuration option "srvtab".  I tought
that it is used to provide path to Kerberos keytab file to be used.
However, it seems it either isn't used for that, or that it doesn't
work.  I had to provide KRB5_KTNAME environment variable to get imapd to
use correct keytab file.

One more question, just out of curiosity (I don't intend to implement
it).  I've noticed that if GSSAPI is configured, than plain and login
can be used only over TLS (I'm not really sure about this, maybe I
noticed wrong ;-).  If it is not configured, plain and login are allowed
in plaintext.  Is there a configuration variable to controll this?  Like
force TLS even if GSSAPI is not configured, or allow plaintext in case
GSSAPI is configured?  allowplaintext option doesn't seem to work!?