Can I use Cyrus IMAP w/Outlook?

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 05:42:50 EST 2005

Paul Dekkers wrote:
> Thomas Kessler wrote:
>
>> Can I use Cyrus IMAP w/Outlook? Is this even possible? I setup Cyrus
>> assuming that I could, but I haven’t been able to find any saying that
>> is works, just that Insight Server application that works with Cyrus
>> IMAP. If I can’t use Cyrus with Outlook, can someone recommend an IMAP
>> server that will?
>>
> Of course you can use it. It's not the best IMAP client in the world (I
> would rather use (and support) Mozilla/Thunderbird ;-) or, ok, maybe
> even rather Outlook Express then Outlook because of its IMAP support),
> but it surely works. Just set up an IMAP account with the correct
> account info & credentials.
>
> Paul
>
> P.S. If authentication fails against the Cyrus server you should
> probably tune your sasl_mech_list to something like "PLAIN LOGIN"
> depending on your backend ofcourse.
>

> ---

We have had outlook 2000/2003 working (*well, um...) with cyrus, but
like paul says, there are much better imap clients available - outlook
works (*well, um...) with exchange, and there are some frustrating
things that it does and does not do with imap. We are busy moving to
thunderbird for email, still looking for a collaboration client...
Hope that helps,